2014 Hammock Holiday Gift Guide
As our family readies for the holidays, I thought it would be fun to put together a post on some hammock-related gift ideas based on my own recommendations (e.g., these are not sponsored posts 🙂
For The Beginner
Whether for yourself or for your buddy who is just getting started.
- The Ultimate Hang Book—Help get someone else converted to hammock camping.
- Daisy chain tree straps—I highly recommend either the ENO Atlas or KAMMOK Python straps for their ease-of-use. I hate seeing beginners use rope systems. I may just buy a few of these myself and Pay-it-Forward when I see someone hanging with rope…
- JRB Double-sided Stuff Sack—My favorite stuff sack style, available in two sizes.
For The Do-it-Yourself Addict
- Amsteel by-the-foot—Who can’t get enough Amsteel? With enough cordage, you can keep yourself or a buddy busy all winter with splicing.
- Fabric—Thinking of making a hammock? Fabric can come pretty cheap, and even simple DIY projects can whip up a hammock in no time. (see also Seattle Fabrics, Thru-Hiker.com, and Outdoor Wilderness Fabric.)
- Grosgrain webbing or bias tape. Check your local fabric store, or online, for great prices on edging.
- Shock cord. 3/32 or 1/8 shock cord is great for under quilts, self-tensioning guy lines, and hammock pull-outs.
- Make your own double-sided stuff sack.
- Make a Poncho Liner Under Quilt (PLUQ).
- Make a 360° mosquito net.
- Make an insulated hood.
- Make a top quilt.
For The Hanger Who Has (almost) Everything
- Camping pillow from Arrowhead Equipment—I have one of the small Snoring Cub pillows and love it. These pillows are designed for hammocks, with an attachment cord you clip on to the peak of your hammock so the pillow doesn’t get lost or slip under your back when you get up.
- A pair of continuous loops from WhoopieSlings.com—These loops are a hammock work horse and are great for nearly any type of suspension system. Great for lightweight packing and for those “hammock snobs” who want to try something else.
- Anything DutchWare—Dutch has a treasure box full of hammock tchotchke from quilt hooks to strap clips. It’s a pretty safe bet that even if you’ve got “everything,” Dutch has probably released something new.
Have another idea? Please post it in the comments below.