First Look: KAMMOK Mantis UL All-in-one Hammock

First Look: KAMMOK Mantis UL All-in-one Hammock

Hey everybody! I hope I don’t break my NDA by releasing this (just kidding, this is all planned). I’ve actually been sitting on my hands for a few days waiting to share this. KAMMOK sent me a surprise package this weekend and I did a quick reveal video to show my hands-on look at their new hammock: the Mantis and Mantis UL. This effectively puts KAMMOK squarely into the all-in-one hammock camping category with a very competitive product.

Get all the specs on their Kickstarter page.

Tarp Dimensions: (Asym hex) 11×4 ft with catenary cut edges
Hammock Dimensions: 120″ x 56″ (115″ ridgeline)
Packed Dimensions: 8″ x 6″
Packed ‘Compressed’ Dimensions: 6″ x 6″
Packaged Weight (oz): 2 lb 3 oz
Minimum Trail Weight (oz):

• Trail weight w/out rainfly: 1lb 2.7 oz
  • Trail weight w/ rainfly: 1lb 15.5 oz
    • What’s included in the trail weight?:
      • Hammock Body
      • Mesh Canopy
      • Structural Ridgeline
      • 2 Kanga Claw mini carabiners
      • Rainfly (including 6 guy outs)
      • (2) Python 10’ UL Straps

Weight Capacity: 300 lb
Product Fabrics and Material(s):

• Hammock Fabric: Levitas™ 20D nylon diamond ripstop DWR
  • Canopy Fabric: Dragonet™ mesh with Stargazer™ panel optimal contrast with night sky
  • Fly Fabric: Patagium™ 15D nylon diamond ripstop nylon 1,500 PU/Silicone/DWR

Product Water Proofing Treatment: DWR

Stuff Sack Water Proofing Treatment: Patagium™ 15D nylon diamond ripstop nylon 1,500mm PU/Silicone/DWR

Other key specs:

Mantis fly: 11.3 oz / 321 g (comes with 6 guy outs with line locks and 2 knotless hooks)
(2) Python 10 Ultralight: 2.9 oz / 85.05 g (no stuff sack)
Mini Kanga: 13g / 0.5 oz (1 oz total for both)
6 DAC Stakes: 2.3oz/ 66g (total for 6)
2 shock cord guy-outs with knotless hook: 0.8oz/22.68g (total for 2)
Mantis UL body w/ out mesh (with mini Kanga & continuous loops): 10.9oz/ 311g
Mesh: 5.3oz/152g
Stuff sack 1.0oz/ 43g

MSRP

• Mantis (regular): $229 (Kickstarter $189)
  • Mantis UL: $259 (Kickstarter $219)

Comparison

Just to level set, I wanted to throw in a quick comparison chart to show where the Mantis UL aligns with some of the competition. Please note that this is a short list of all-in-one, or all-inclusive jungle hammocks that include hammock, bug net, tarp, tie-outs, suspension, and maybe stakes. I’ve tried to normalize the comparison by using a hex tarp for all three (Hennessy includes a smaller, asym tarp by default).

KAMMOK Mantis ULHennessy HyperliteClark TX 270
Base MSRP$260$260$400
Total Cost$260$320 (added hex tarp)$480 (added hex tarp)
Capacity300 lbs (136 kg)200 lbs (90 kg)300 lbs (136 kg)
Weight35.2 oz (998 g)47.3 oz (1,341 g)*61.3 oz (1,738 g)**
Jungle hammock
(integrated bug net)
✔️✔️✔️
Modular bug net✔️
TarpMulti-point hex includedIncludes small, asylum tarp. Upgrade to Hex Rainfly 30D Silnylon for $140 (+17.3 oz)No tarp included. Add XL Silnylon for $80 (+14 oz)
Suspension✔️
Daisy chain strap + carabiners
✔️
48″ webbing strap + rope (requires figure-8 lashing)
✔️
Rope and ring suspension (required knots)
Tarp Guyline✔️✔️✔️
Tent Poles  ✔️
Hammock pull-outs✔️
Modular
✔️
Fixed
N/A
Tarp stakes✔️ (6)

*Hennessy lists the component weights separately. This total includes adding hammock, sil-nylon hex tarp, and straps. No stakes included.

**The Clark TX 270 doesn’t include a tarp, so I added the default XL to the weight and price. No stakes included. No stakes included.

1. Drew Boswell says:

Dimensions of the tarp? Dimensions of the hammock? If you gave them in the video, I missed it, and I’ve searched the Kickstarter page you linked to and don’t see dimensions for either anywhere. They give weight and packed dimensions, but not deployed. I’d like to know the size of both the hammock and the tarp, length and width. That’s the only way to fairly compare to existing products. Thanks.

• Derek Hansen says:

Great question. I was hoping Kammok would include it on their Kickstarter page. The hammock I received was a pre-production prototype, so what I list here is subject to change.

The hammock measures at 10 feet long.

The tarp has an 11-foot ridgeline and is 3 feet at the center point. The panels are longer on one end as there are catenary curves outward.

2. bill says:

Gotta have a sleeve on bottom that fits a mattress for me. For some reason that always works best my needs.

3. Kurt Papke says:

I like your 2-camera setup on the video. I’ve used that technique several times on my cooking videos. Also, the matter-of-fact/informal style you used was great, like it!

4. Jonathan C says:

In comparison to the asymmetrical design of the Hennessy hammock how does it compare in comfort?

• Derek Hansen says:

Just to clarify, the Hennessy hammock body is just as rectangular as any hammock. It’s the tie-outs and bug net that are asymmetric, which indicates the diagonal lay position. In that regard, the Mantis can be configured similarly with its pull outs but the foot pull out is in he right place for the mantis (Hennessy design is strictly asymmetrical, which puts the foot side pull out near the knee and puts more strain in the feet and legs).

I think I’ll always have a place in my heart for Hennessy but it is an acquired taste. The hammock is small in comparison to the Mantis and the netting will feel more roomy. I think the Mantis is more comfortable in both leg hyperextension (a common issue wig Hennessy) and also head room with he bug net.

• Jonathan C says:

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply it helped me to decide on getting the Mantis. I had a Hennessy which I liked for comfort but the weight of the model that I had and the fact that you cant completely remove the bug netting where issues for me.

5. z det says:

How did you like the Python UL straps? They look like a twist on the Ultimate Strap Design by splitting the two halves rather than a widened section to go around the tree.

• Derek Hansen says:

Kammok actually purchased Ultimate Straps, the patent, and the company. Kammok is now the exclusive producer of these amazing straps! The UL version is really cool. Feels so light! You are correct about the design. It uses less material than the regular Python strap, so they split the strap to distribute the weight better.

6. Kim Kremer says:

I’ve used my Mantis UL about a half-dozen times this summer. I really like it. I didn’t think I’d want to give up my larger tarp, but it’s hard to argue against that lighter weight. My Mantis failed in the middle of the night the last time I used it — that seems to be a common complaint with all ultralight hammocks — and that was a good reminder to hang it so you’re sleeping relatively close to the ground. Kammok honored their lifetime warranty and replaced the Mantis UL after inquiries into how I’d used it, what happened when it failed, and my sending them pictures of the destroyed hammock. I can set the thing up as a spacious bivy if I cannot hang in it, so I’ll continue to carry it in the backcountry.

I’m still not completely sold on the Python straps. I have another set of heavier & longer straps that I’ve held on to. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that I can always find trees that are just the right distance apart when I’m solo hiking. If there are two of us, I’ll carry the heavier straps because they’re rated for a lot more weight than the Python straps.

I still haven’t figured out the advantage of tying out the bug netting to the sides. I’ve got a week-long hike coming up, so maybe I’ll play around with the thing & experiment with what I like best.