First Look – Underground Quilts Flight Jacket Top Quilt

1. Todd Brasseur says:

Hey Derek!
    Do you think this top quilt can act as a bottom and top warming piece of gear? It seems like it because this quilt can wrap around the whole body. I am looking to slash some weight and I think this can be the ticket instead of buying a bottom and top quilt for my setup. Just as a side note, I do not camp in weather below 20 degrees F.
    Please, let me know your thoughts
    Thanks,
    Todd

A lot of top quilts can also be used as bottom quilts. If the quilt can be opened up and cinches on the head and foot end, then all you need is some shock cord tied on the ends to hold it up. The Jacks R Better quilts are all designed to do this.

2. Jordan says:

One question: Do you recommend using an over quilt as opposed to an equally rated sleeping bag (assuming you would use both with an under quilt)? I am looking to purchase one or the other, but don’t have the funds for both. I was thinking the sleeping bag would be a smarter choice as it would find more use beyond hammock camping, but you also stated that this TQ could easily be used for ground sleeping. What are your thoughts?

You have great reasoning. When I began transitioning to a hammock system I did the same thing, relying on a sleeping bag. However, the more I hammock camped, the less I slept on the ground, and using a top quilt was much easier to use. You also save some weight with a top quilt. Top quilts can be used on the ground, but it takes some effort to eliminate drafts. This is more of an issue in cooler temps and if you toss and turn on the ground.

• Jordan says:

I wasn’t really thinking about using a sleeping bag for ground camping (I’m an orthodox hammocker nowadays), more or less just for times when you need something warm to sleep in and you’re somewhere without adequate cover. Thank you for your input, I’ll think it through.

3. Mitchell says:

I have a sleeping back with two zippers that run along two sides. Would it be a good idea to use it as a top quilt only or open it up like a tube around the hammock?