Hanging A Hammock Indoors

This video shows the process for hanging a hammock indoors.

I often get asked how to hang a hammock inside. This is actually very easy to accomplish. I’ve been using large metal eye bolts for years, but there are also hanging kits specifically made for hammocks, including the ENO Hanging Kit.

The process is straightforward:

1. Measure the distance inside your room (wall to wall)
  2. Use the hang calculator to determine the hang point
  3. Locate the wall stud
  4. Drill the holes
  5. Insert the eye bolt (or other hardware)

Materials Needed

1 – Measuring tape
1 – Stud finder (you can also use a nail and hammer a series of holes until you find the stud edges and measure for the center)
1 – Hammock Hang Calculator
2 – Eye bolts (or hanging kit)
1 – Drill with drill bit

If you are installing a single hardware piece like the eye bolt, be sure to drill the hole in the center of the stud.

The minimum hang distance for a hammock, generally speaking, is about 9 ft (2.7 m), but much depends on what hammock you have. A lot of bedrooms are built with 10 or 12 ft (3 to 3.6 m) floor space, but if you have a small room, you could also go diagonally across a room for more distance.

Wall studs are easily found on corners or around window frames, but using a stud finder or using the nail method are good ways to make sure you are drilling or installing in the right place.

One the hardware is installed, hang your hammock! I use various hardware pieces I’ve collected over the years, including large steel S-hooks, steel carabiners, and even short lengths of chain. The chain is a nice because it provides variable hang points every few inches.

I also often use a short length of webbing that I hook on to the eye bolt and then use the Becket Hitch to tie off the hammock. This is a traditional method used in South America.

72 comments for “Hanging A Hammock Indoors

1. Kristine
    October 30, 2013 at 7:35 am

My room is 10×10 and a rental, so drilling into studs is not allowed, I managed a 8ft frame. I would like more stretch to my hammock and will build a better when when I have the money, but after some practice I have a good Idea how to build a sturdy frame

October 30, 2013 at 7:46 am

Rentals! Yes, I’ve been there. With some rentals you can do it, just consider it like nailing a picture frame to the wall (unless that is also outlawed). Patching the small hole is easy.

However, in strict cases, you’ve got to do something else. What I did for a buddy of mine was to use a hammock stand indoors. Like you mentioned, building a custom frame is sometimes necessary. If it were me, I would try a 4×4 stud against the wall with a horizontal cross beam that goes along the ceiling and drill into this frame.

• Angela
        June 9, 2014 at 5:16 am

Hi Derek, I was wondering about your 4 x 4 idea for hanging indoors…how does that stay in place?

June 9, 2014 at 6:06 am

I need to append that comment. It should be a 2×4 stud. Anyway, you are basically slapping a 2×4 stud to the wall and attaching the hammock to it. You can pre-drill or even counter sink an eye bolt or other attach point.

• Angela
            June 10, 2014 at 6:02 pm

When you say ” slap” do you mean nail it to the wall?

June 12, 2014 at 6:17 am

Yup.

2. November 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I was looking into this for a while, and I read that studs nowdays are often not dense enough to support indoor hammocking. Old houses with old studs – they have dense wood which will be suitable.

How can I know if my studs are strong enough? Obviously I don’t want to get it set up, get in the hammock, and pull two walls down….

• November 4, 2013 at 9:02 pm

My mistake! I wasn’t trying to disparage your post – I actually find it encouraging and would love to hang a hammock in the house. Particularly the garage.

Quick question though – I guess the forces need to stay perpendicular to the wall? No off angles, right? That would pull the stud in the wrong way?

November 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Jay, no worries mate! I’m not offended in the least. I was actually trying to reply on my phone and kept making mistakes, so my apologies for a half-written response (I hope I’ve fixed it all now). You have valid concerns. Like building something for the first time, you’ve got to test it out to make sure it works. Over time you begin to trust the work because you have more experience and knowledge. Hanging hammocks is the same. Some people are really nervous trying a hammock out the first time, trusting the ropes will hold them, or hoping the hammock won’t rip.

No matter where you hang your hammock, you want the suspension to come off the anchor point at an angle. This reduces the force on the anchor point significantly. Check out my hang calculator to test this.

The eye bolts or other bolted hardware should go straight into the wood stud, perpendicular to the wood. No angles. The hammock, however, does hang at an angle.

November 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm

If you are really concerned, contact a contractor.

I did a quick search and found one article describing wood densities and warning of sub-standard wood. Curiously, the article came from a lumber yard who recommended using their premium cut wood.

I’ve heard from others who have been very concerned about damaging their 2×4 studs. I’ve drilled dozens of holes and installed several eye bolts in different homes and never had a problem. Maybe I live on the wild side, but I think we may be over analyzing this.

If your home has sub-par 2x4s, you probably have a bigger problem than just installing a hammock. Just make sure you drill the hole in the center of the stud. A stud finder is a great way to do this. I also prefer to put the anchors near door and window frames where there is additional supports and beams.

3. Ricardo Henriquez
    December 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

Hi, I am a contractor. Most wood used for framing here in the US have to conform to codes and if it holds your structure it should be perfectly fine for hanging your hammock. The trick is to pre-drill your hole not to big as when you put in your eye bolt it barely grabs. A good rule of thumb is to use a drill bit 1/3 to half the size of the bolt you are using. Centering it on the stud is also paramount. Patching holes is very easy. If you can tie knots you can patch a wall. Use youtube for that. Happy hanging :)

December 24, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for this! Great info.

• J
      June 26, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Uh, as someone with a lot of experience in construction and building maintenance, the possible issue here is metal studs. They are used in most modern (post 1980) commercial building projects like apartment buildings. These are made from thin sheets of metal and would definitely NOT come anywhere near holding the weight of a hammock. I recently installed a pull-up bar in a wall with metal studs and it required major surgery: I had to remove a section of drywall and incorporate some plywood backing into a few studs so they could take the force–not something your typical apartment dweller can, or will want to, do. If you’ve got wood studs in your dwelling the eye hooks will work fine. But with metal studs you really should either not try it or you should get the help of an expert who can modify the structure to take the force.

June 26, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Thanks. That is good to know.

4. January 19, 2014 at 1:03 pm

My eno came without the black ties? how do i get those?

5. Jeremy
    January 30, 2014 at 1:04 pm

So if hanging on an angle due to a small room wouldn’t eye bolt be at an angle to the rope? Would this deflection cause issues?

January 30, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I suppose it can, depending on how acute the angle, and tight the hang, and how heavy the load. Most of my indoor bolts are not exactly even, but the angles are not small enough to be an issue. However, in my master bedroom, the only way I could set up a hammock meant a very tight angle, however, I haven’t had a problem with the bolts bending or timbers cracking, or other issues. I’m not saying “be reckless” — please be careful and thoughtful about how you want to hang, but from my own experience, it has been working very well.

6. March 20, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I have a finished attic with angled walls, (close to 45 degrees) Is there any reason I couldn’t bolt these to the trusses instead of the studs?

March 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm

That should work.

7. Josh
    March 21, 2014 at 10:33 am

What size eye bolts are you using in this video?

8. March 31, 2014 at 2:56 am

With the soccer World Cup around the corner, a hammock could be an awesome substitute for a couch!

9. Cyntada
    April 12, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I’ve been looking for answers to an indoor hammock problem… need one in a commercial office. The wall buildout has studs but it doesn’t go all the way to the structural ceiling. The drop ceiling it does connect to is just a grid with cork tiles and offers no load-bearing support of any kind. I fear that the eye bolt would hold nice and tight to the stud as the entire wall folds in like wet cardboard… considering Mr. Henriquez’s comments, is it worth trying? I’d really like to get this hammock up, but not at peril of the building!

April 13, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I’d hate to give bad advice with not seeing the space. I would recommend contacting the building manager and getting some support or advice on what to do there. If the walls aren’t load bearing, I think you have your answer.

• C Knighton
        April 13, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I’m already looking into building a stand, just seems smarter for the reason you mentioned. Thanks for the confirmation though!

10. Steve Knipe
    April 20, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Hi there, sorry if this has already been asked before. Is it possible to fit a hammock into the corner of a room? Regards, Steve

April 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

You mean diagonally? Or paralleling the wall? You won’t have room to lay if you bolt into a corner and parallel the wall, but that should be obvious. Diagonally is also fine provided the angle isn’t too acute.

• CK
        July 24, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Hi, very helpful post! I’m looking to hang a hammock diagonally in the corner of my apartment room too. How would you know if the angle is too acute for it to work? Thanks

July 25, 2014 at 7:40 am

I have a hammock in my room that is very acute. It works. What I did though was place the anchor bolts on reinforced studs at the window and door frames. Consult an engineer or contractor for specific questions.

11. Cynthia
    May 15, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Hello, I currently have a double eno hammock screwed into our walls with large eyelets, and I was wondering if it would be ok for 2 people to sleep in? Together we weigh about 320-340 lbs. Thank you :)

May 16, 2014 at 6:08 am

Possibly. Much depends on the studs and the weight capacity of the eye bolt. Personally, I don’t find it comfortable to sleep two in a hammock since you will slide together. As long as you love synchronized sleeping, you should be fine.

• Cynthia
        May 18, 2014 at 10:03 pm

The eye bolts are super heavy duty… the largest ones they had at Lowe’s. The stud capacity is something to look into though. Thank you for all your help :)

12. Ryan
    May 17, 2014 at 8:01 am

Hi! I’ve been sleeping in my hammock for the past 2 weeks and I hear like a cracking sound every time I move. I weigh 230 is cracking sounds normal with indoor hammocks?

May 18, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Probably NOT a good sound. What kind of anchor are you using? How big are the studs you drilled in to? What other factors are involved?

• Ryan
        May 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm
          May 18, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Are you hanging straight between your anchors or at an angle?

• Ryan
            May 18, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Almost straight from wall to wall

May 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Okay. How big are your studs (2×4?) and you drilled exactly center? Is your hang angle about 30 degrees? In one of my indoor hangs I hear an initial creaking sound when I I first get in, but this hang is at an extreme angle from wall to wall so the stresses are higher than a perpendicular hang. Some folks create a bridge where they place a board that spans two or more studs and the anchor is attached to the board to help lower the strain on just one stud.

13. Funkysod
    May 26, 2014 at 11:12 am

I hang my hammock strap over a door, resting on the hinge on one side. Then close the door pull the strap tight across the top part of the door. Do the same on a door opposit or diagonal from the first door. Works a charm. Been doing it on a lot of different doors, with my a few of my kids hanging with me in the hammock no problem. Never seen anyone else do it or write about it and I would like to share my experience. Happy indoor hanging.

May 26, 2014 at 11:24 am

I do this at hotels when I travel. Works well!

• Cara
        July 19, 2014 at 10:40 am

Could you describe this a little differently? I’m having a hard time getting the picture. I’m in a dorm, so this is the only option for hanging.

July 20, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Measure. Drill. Insert eye bolts. Hang.

In a dorm room, you may not be able to drill holes in the walls, so the question may be moot. If you can drill holes, make sure you use the right hardware to work with cinder blocks or wood. Using a stand may be a better option indoors in some locations.

If it were me going to college and living in a dorm room, I would build a pipe stand.

14. Allen Austin
    May 29, 2014 at 5:13 pm

If you’re going to use the eye bolts, use shouldered eye screws. Eye screws/bolts are meant to hold a force perpendicular to the mounting surface, or parallel with the shank of the bolt. Shouldered eye screws/bolts will better support an off-angle load such as the hang angle of 30* you recommend.

15. June 2, 2014 at 9:44 am

Is there a chance of pulling the room out of square (I want to hang in my 2×4 framed workshop/shed)? Also is it best to use the load bearing or non load bearing walls in a room?

June 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I suppose it does depend on the structure you are hanging from. I’m less concerned about a fully framed and finished house than a shed. You will have less issues if you hang perpendicular to a wall than on an angle. Yes, I would recommend going with a load-bearing wall or a reinforced beam (like on doorways or windows) than a single wall stud. That said, I would send all technical questions to a mechanical engineer, which I am not :)

• June 2, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Appreciate the insight, gives me a point of reference

16. Ted
    June 18, 2014 at 8:51 am

Curious question. Would you be able to hang two hammocks from the same eye bolt? Wife is not even willing to try the hammock at this point but was curious if you can put two hammocks up on the same eye bolt in the stud?

June 19, 2014 at 5:45 am

I’ve done that with kids. I would be hesitant with adults. Just thinking of the load strain. If it were a more robust connection then maybe.

17. Johnny
    June 19, 2014 at 9:24 am

I tried this……and broke my tailbone when the eye bolt pulled out of the wall stud. It took many months to rehab this so just be careful. I probably drilled out a little too much or drilled into a weak part of the stud, but regardless, I’d be pretty nervous about recommending this hanging approach as is.

June 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Good observation. Any time you drill a pilot hole, it should be smaller than the screw, otherwise there isn’t enough material to hold it in place. I’ve done dozens of these installs and have never had a problem, but there always exists a risk. If you are worried about structural integrity or install, please consult a contractor or builder.

18. Jim P
    July 5, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Hi Derek, I’m trying to make a hanging space out of a pretty small room (8.5′ diagonal). It’s not ideal, but I feel I should be able to make a hammock work in that space, since some frame hammocks are only 8.5′ (but come with the frame). Do you have any suggestions about where to look for a hanging one, and how the experience will be impacted? There are so many models and vendors but all seem built for bigger spaces.

July 7, 2014 at 11:35 am

You’re going to want to find a smallish hammock, no longer than 9.5 feet. While not 100% complete, you can do a quick search through my hammock database. I know the Hennessy models are right at 9.5, along with the Grand Trunk Ultralight.

19. hayden
    July 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Is it safe to swing in the hammock after i hang it? I want to do this in my room but I’m nervous about the stud not holding. Thanks

July 20, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Gentle swinging is always encouraged in a hammock. Getting more aggressive can exert more force on the wall studs and anchor points than you probably want. Of course, if you loop your webbing straps or suspension over and around exposed studs or have more robust anchor points, you could probably do more. Just be careful :)

You might want to look into Minorswing Hammocks :)

20. Thomas
    August 17, 2014 at 1:00 am

Hey Derek,

I’ve been looking at a 14ft Brazillian Hammock. (14ft being the hanging length according to the website.)

I’m really interested in using it to replace my bed, however the wall space is just over 10ft.

Using you’re calculator, I punched in the information and it recommended a height to hang it. I was wondering if this is actually possible or if the calculator is just adjusting to the information i’ve given it.

What I mean to say is is it feasible to hang something like that in that way and have it still be comfortable.

Thanks.

August 17, 2014 at 8:05 am

That is a good question. The calculator will help, but it is adjusting. Big mayan hammocks typically hang at 45-degrees so they will fit in spaces differently. The hang point is also higher than a camping hammock. When I plugged in the numbers it appears to just fit. What I would do to test is to use a 14 foot rope and hold it in position and let it sag like a hammock.

21. August 24, 2014 at 12:11 am

I have quite a bit of construction and rigging experience and I’m pretty good at physics. I’d be very wary of relying on a single eye screw into a 2×4 stud with a hammock. Personally, I’d cut 52″ lengths of 2×6 or I-channel steel (backed with furring strips, put washered eye bolts (not eye screws) into them, and lag screw them into four studs each, assuming my walls were framed 16″ o.c. as most houses are, to spread the load. There’s a very big difference between dynamic loads and static loads. Just calculating the static hang load isn’t enough. If you can contrive it, you might want to consider some engineered wood studs in the wall to hang your hammock from.

22. August 24, 2014 at 12:17 am

BTW, what you are calling an eye bolt is not an eye bolt, it’s an eye screw, and I wouldn’t recommend the ones that have open eyes like you used in the video. Find ones that are welded closed. An eye bolt goes into a hole and attaches with a nut, or threads into a threaded hole or insert. An eye screw screws directly into the substrate.

23. Ryan
    August 30, 2014 at 9:21 am

Has anyone tried using a threaded insert into a 2×4 so you can remove the eye bolt when you are not hanging the hammock? It appears like the threaded insert will have sufficient pull strength.

24. Jason
    September 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

I’ve been thinking about this post in application to my apartment. I’ve seen the references to putting a board between two studs and hanging from it to give more strength. I’m thinking about putting an eyebolt in two adjacent studs, then run some webbing straps between them. I’d then attach the hammock to the strap. Seems like this would accomplish the same thing as using the board.

Aside from the unknown inside the wall, so lets assume the wall construction is good, anything I’m missing here that would need to be addressed or done differently?

September 6, 2014 at 10:53 am

Sounds like a good approach.

25. kyle
    September 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm

is it possible to hang a standard hammock from a single anchor point on the ceiling without a space bar? I have a hammock and the ability to hang hammock chairs only from my balcony, I truly do not wish to purchase a new hammock.

September 15, 2014 at 6:43 pm

This is a very interesting question. I suppose if you had a steel bar that was as least 10 feet long, you could attach a hammock to the two ends of the pipe. Then, from the center of the pipe, attach the single point to hang from the ceiling. You would need to have some stabilizer or floor anchor, otherwise the hammock would simply tip over to one side or another, much like a balanced scale.

26. Kaily
    October 10, 2014 at 8:23 am

Hi, I am wondering if I can hang the hammock on two walls so it is just in one corner, therefore the hooks would be pulled at at an angle. Is this bad to do?

October 13, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Not necessarily. This is exactly what I do in my master bedroom — hang on an angle in a corner. Sometimes that is the only way to make it work. Just be sure you are on secure studs (I always pick reinforced studs like on window or door frames) and make sure to drill in the center of the stud. It does put extra strain on the hardware device and mine have twisted until they equalized.

27. Antje
    November 2, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Hi, what a great site! We are renting a place whose owner had a hammock. The hooks are still in the wall. It’s a diagonal setup, and he said that we need a “shorter” hammock to make it work. I don’t quite know what “shorter” means and where to look. Any thoughts?

November 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

What is the hang distance?