Pitching Options for a Square Tarp

Pitching options for a square tarp, specifically for hammock camping.

I think a square tarp is probably the most modular for hammock camping because it can be pitched in so many different configurations. It really is a workhorse item because you can create nearly everything from a fair-weather sun shade to a storm-worthy, snow-shedding A-frame fortress. Keep in mind that you’ll need to carry a little more guy line and a few stakes in order to configure some of these options.

If the tarp is the right size (as large or larger than 10×10 ft/3.05×3.05 m), you can hang multiple hammocks under one tarp to share some gear and save some weight.

Pitching-Options-for-Square-Tarps

1. Walter says:

Good article and illustrations. Could you recommend a UL tarp? I have been searching for an UL square tarp for hammocking and ground use and I’m not having much luck.

2. Mittagsfrost says:

Derek, I love your illustrations! They are like a cheat sheet for hammock exams 😉

3. Todd Foster says:

I like the origami pitch idea. See origami 10 X 10 on youtube. Can form a tent with sheltered door with no flapping sections. In real life I just threw tarp over ridgeline leaving ground edges a foot or so above ground so 360 views lying down. No bugs ar night in High Sierra so no net. Best ground shelter I used before hammocks.

4. Corey Smith says:

With hiking poles to prop it open where you want to see out, a square tarp works just as well as a hundred and fifty dollar one. You might end up having to tie it to the top of your pack when hiking in and out due to the size, but it isn’t really that big of a deal. As long as you make sure it is sized correctly and waterproofed, a $10.00 square tarp can be all you need for your rain protection.

5. This is so helpful thanks!! Getting the hammock up is one thing, getting the tarp up, a whole other ball of wax. Ak! Any pointers on using a poncho tarp? The hood in the middle is a bit tricky. Using what I’ve got at the moment.

I have often used a poncho tarp when hammock camping. As long as your hammock fits underneath, it makes a good asymmetric tarp. I use a GoLite poncho tarp, which is now unavailable. I use the draw cord of the hood to gooseneck the hood and tie it off to seal it.

6. brandonadams says:

Any suggestions for a tarp without polyurethane coating? Is my only other option silnyl? Hoping to find something cheaper than silnyl.

1. August 7, 2015