Indoor Hammock Hanging Kits and Tips

1. Dan Pagel says:

My regular mattress was old and I wasn’t sleeping well, so I experimented..

I welded up a pair of brackets with 1″ rings to run 4 lag bolts into my wall studs.. With the use of a tablecloth hammock, a pair of 12″ endless Amsteel loops, a few feet of homemade straps and a pair of toggles I’ve been sleeping in a hammock full time for 3 months. Because I like my sleep on the cool side I’m using a KAQ Jarbidge underquilt and I made a top quilt out of a cheap sleeping bag.. This allows me to run my winter thermostat at 60 degrees.

Other than the $75 for the Jarbidge UQ (was on sale a few months ago) I have less than $50 into my “Bed” and I sleep better than I have in years. The first couple nights were touch and go because everything was new to me but by the third night I woke up 5 minutes before the alarm was about to go off, fully refreshed!!

And the best part is that you just slide the endless loop off the toggle and attach it to the other wall and you’ve now completely opened up your bedroom for whatever else you’d like to do.. Try folding up a mattress. 🙂

I do have to admit one thing.. It’s kinda taken the excitement out of hammock camping.. Before it was cool because you were in a hammock!! Now I’m just going to bed..

2. James L. Schneider says:

I’ve hammock camped for a year and started to spend warm nights hammocking in my back yard. Enjoyed it so much I bought a metal stand and a mayan hammock for my bedroom, replacing my waterbed about six months ago. I use an electric space heater for comfort on cold nights as I turn down the furnace to 49 degrees at night. Most comfortable sleep I’ve had in years.

3. James L. Schneider says:

I went the metal stand route in part because I have a large bedroom and I wanted to give indoor hammocking a try before I started putting anchors in the wall studs. I also wanted to try different arrangements in the room before making a permanent choice. The metal stand could always be used outdoors if I decide on anchors. The stand takes up quite a bit of space and I may go to anchors for that reason.

4. Matt C says:

I took the gas pipe hammock stand and constructed it in my kids room in the apartment I’m currently renting. It works very well.

5. Joseph says:

I’m currently using some strange hardware that consists of steel plate with four holes for screws and a large steel ring. Only two of the screws are in the stud, the other two are in a piece of plywood screwed across several studs. The squeaking drives me crazy though and the walls flex when I bounce. First chance I get, I’m bolting climbing anchor plates into my walls. Seriously, even with dry lube coatings (that wear off), bloody Squeaking!

Interesting! I’ve always put my anchor bolts in corners and frames where there are usually extra studs so I’ve never had squeaking issues. However, I’ve seen setups like yours and thought it would be pretty sturdy.

6. Britt says:

Hi there, I’m interested in using a two-person hammock (specifically the Clark Double V or Vertex), for my fiance and I and might need to diy a hangar for it–not sure what the walls and regulations are going to be like, as we’ll be renting a student flat in Sweden. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for making a hangar that will support the weight of two average sized people (5 ft 9 in/125 lbs and 6 ft/145 lbs)? If we can drill into the wall, do you think the weight would be acceptable for the rig you suggest for indoor hanging? (Since we would have 3 suspension points rather than 2). Any advice would be most welcome! Thanks!

I’d recommend that you get two individual hammocks. Easier hanging options and less movement between you. For wall anchors, the kits and techniques shown here should work but review the building first.

1. April 28, 2015