DIY Lightweight Recycled Tube Bug Net

1. Jennie says:

This was awesome!! I made 2 of these and they worked perfectly for me and my 7 year old daughter – when we slept bunk style in our hammocks. It was our first attempt at hammock camping and it was a huge success! Thanks so much – your book and website has been sooo helpful!!

2. Cory says:

I (roughly) followed these instructions to make a tube out of .7 oz noseeum netting, and it came out great! I’ll be field testing it this weekend, and am psyched.

I’m pretty new to MYOG type stuff, so even something this basic was beyond me without some sort of plans. Thank you for putting this together!

3. Steve Reed says:

My son and I were camping with scouts on a 4day canoe trip down Allegheny River in PA this past July. I had net for my hammock but he wanted one. I quickly looked up your directions and $16 later he had his own. His worked so well, I got rid of my original one and now only use your design. Thanks so much. Thought you might enjoy this photo of “hammock city” the boys built on one of the islands with all their hammocks stacked on top of each other. http://scouttroop155.org/day-2-update-3/

4. Zac says:

Hey Derek do you think this would be big enough for a 6.5ft x 10ft double hammock?

Yes. You can also make the netting longer to suit, but remember that a good hang has a good sag that shortens the overall length required to cover the hammock.

5. Nick says:

I tried this with conventional bug net like noted in the instructions…. It didn’t work out so well. It was hard to cut the material, was extremely flimsy, and kept falling apart. I couldn’t even imagine how sewing it would go. I’m sure I could have done it better with better shears but what I prefer to do is the crypticCRICKET method from youtube. You just go to walmart, get 2 Mainstays Marjorie Sheer Voile Curtain Panels and sew them together. No cutting involved, the material is a bit cheaper and a heck of a lot stronger, it also keeps out no see ums. Just a suggestion for those scrolling through the comments.