DIY Lightweight Recycled Tube Bug Net

1. Jennie says:

This was awesome!! I made 2 of these and they worked perfectly for me and my 7 year old daughter – when we slept bunk style in our hammocks. It was our first attempt at hammock camping and it was a huge success! Thanks so much – your book and website has been sooo helpful!!

2. Cory says:

I (roughly) followed these instructions to make a tube out of .7 oz noseeum netting, and it came out great! I’ll be field testing it this weekend, and am psyched.

I’m pretty new to MYOG type stuff, so even something this basic was beyond me without some sort of plans. Thank you for putting this together!

3. Steve Reed says:

My son and I were camping with scouts on a 4day canoe trip down Allegheny River in PA this past July. I had net for my hammock but he wanted one. I quickly looked up your directions and $16 later he had his own. His worked so well, I got rid of my original one and now only use your design. Thanks so much. Thought you might enjoy this photo of “hammock city” the boys built on one of the islands with all their hammocks stacked on top of each other.

4. Zac says:

Hey Derek do you think this would be big enough for a 6.5ft x 10ft double hammock?

Yes. You can also make the netting longer to suit, but remember that a good hang has a good sag that shortens the overall length required to cover the hammock.

5. Nick says:

I tried this with conventional bug net like noted in the instructions…. It didn’t work out so well. It was hard to cut the material, was extremely flimsy, and kept falling apart. I couldn’t even imagine how sewing it would go. I’m sure I could have done it better with better shears but what I prefer to do is the crypticCRICKET method from youtube. You just go to walmart, get 2 Mainstays Marjorie Sheer Voile Curtain Panels and sew them together. No cutting involved, the material is a bit cheaper and a heck of a lot stronger, it also keeps out no see ums. Just a suggestion for those scrolling through the comments.

6. Allan says:

Just made this ready for a trip to my farm in Dominican Republic. The mozzies are ferocious out there hopefully this will keep them at bay. It came out really good, I’m well happy with it.

7. Steve C says:

Thanks for this article. I made two of these this week. I don’t have a lot of sewing experience, but I’m getting better. I must have skipped over the “a moderately-difficult project” as I somehow thought this was going to be easier than it was.

We picked up two of the Coghlan’s Mosquito Nets as our base material. (As I get more comfortable with this stuff, I’d probably just get tulle or smaller hole bug net material.) I picked up a couple of stuff sacks on clearance at Gander Mountain because I figured I needed somewhere to store the nets. (I know I could make them, but at the time I decided my time was worth the $2/ea.)

I made the first net following the base instructions above. I guessed on the draw cord length though. It ended up being about half the circumference of the opening. We’ll see if that’s enough.

When I made the second net, I decided I wanted to try the alternate finishing instructions. I wasn’t sure about the size to cut the short opening. Then I remembered your post about converting a stuff sack into a bishop bag. I wondered if I could simply sew the net’s short end to the inside of the bottom of one of those (4″x9″) stuff sacks. Turning the sack inside-out, I put the corner of the sack’s square bottom at the end of the bug net’s top seam. I sewed the net around the rest of the bottom. I then just laid the netting on the floor and sketched an arc from the bag to the net’s bottom and made one long seam as you describe above. I used the button hole setting on the sewing machine and made a 1-1/2″ opening in the bottom of the sack. I fed the end of the hammock through that new hole and stuffed the hammock (GT Ultralight) and net inside. It’s a great fit and the loop/hook on the end of the hammock makes a convenient hanger for the packed setup. This also leaves the original hammock sack to hold a flashlight, book, etc.

We’re planning on using the hammocks for the first time this weekend at cub scout camp. Wish us luck!

Thanks again for your fantastic site and book!

8. Tim says:

Excited to try this! Just got my Mombasa bug net from REI. Did you sew the mosquito netting by hand or with a machine?