Making an Adjustable Hammock Ridgeline with a LoopAlien

1. Derek, I like the adjustability and the ease of removal (as opposed to the semi-permanent adjustable whoopie sling ridgeline I use currently). My only question is: can this work with a “structural” ridgeline? I use a structural ridgeline for dialed in “sag”… can the loop alien handle this increased tension, or is it only intended as a bugnet/accessory ridgeline? Thanks!

• Dave B says:

Noah,
      I added a ridgeline to my DoubleNest easily. I used some 5/32 Amsteel and just fixed each end to the ENO carabiners. Once set for my preference it stays in place and just stuffs in the bag along with the hammock.

2. Kudzu says:

Nice. Backsplice that free end to keep it from unraveling. 😉

3. Dave says:

You’re a true gear-head, just like me. You mentioned the Alien has no sharp edges, not because it’s about personal safety, it’s about not damaging your gear. lolololol

4. Tyler says:

Love the site! It’s been very useful, I truly appreciate all the help you provide.. If I’m trying to set up an adjustable hammock ridgeline w/o any hardware. Would you recommend following (relatively) the same procedure that you suggest in hanging a continuous ridgeline for a tarp over the hammock, i.e., secure fixed end with either double hitch, figure 8 with clove hitch, etc., and then taut-line hitch on the other side for adjustment, or is there a better method for this? Please let me know at your earliest convenience.
    Cheers,
    Tyler

Yes, that would work but I don’t think the taut-line hitch will hold the stress. Instead, use a truckers hitch.

5. Luke says:

Would this set up be enough for the hammock sag, bugnet, and a tarp?

I’m not sure I follow you. I don’t recommend using a loop alien with hammock suspension.

• Luke says:

Sorry, not as a hammock suspension. So attached to the hammock (already suspended using whoopies or what-not), would this set up of LoopAlien and LashIt be strong enough to maintain desired sage, have a tarp on it, and have a bug net on it? Are tarps ever even set up just to lay on top of ridge lines?

Yes and yes. Most folks hang a tarp separate from the hammock but you can connect a tarp directly to the hammock. Check out my post on a tarp and Hennessy hammock.