The Truth About Hammock Camping: Claim #3 – Hammocks are quick and easy to set up

1. Jerry says:

I have a larger bag that I keep all of my hammock gear in, Each item is in a seperate bag. I know this does create a bit of extra weight, but in the end, the large sack is laid on the ground for my feet when I get up to dress or visit nature in the middle of the night. Then everything is stowed in the same bag for easy retreval for setup.

2. Bean says:

I use Snakeskins on both the Hammock and Tarp. The Hammock lives in my Sack and the Tarp on the outside. I think a sil nylon stuff sack to put the snakeskinned hammock in would be good and it would help control it in the sack. I could also use it as a mat for dressing on.
    For me this is my favorite quick method to hand the hammock is using Whoopies and Dutch hooks, I’m not sure its the fastest but its my favorite.

3. Brian says:

Great points. I approach my setup in pretty much the exact same way (continous loops at the end with a Whoopie Hook setup. Each item (hammock, tarp, suspension) in separate bags.

I agree that setup/takedown time isn’t a huge difference in my experience. I have two main benefits personally.
    1) Everything’s off the ground, so I don’t have to brush dirt off the bottom of my tent. That process was perhaps the most painful (other than putting away my pad) of the whole takedown ritual. SUPER glad to be done with that.
    2. Most common backpacking tents (only a few exceptions) don’t allow you to set up the rain fly first, allowing water to get into your tent. Some have mastered going fast enough/balancing things enough to not have it be a big issue, but with a Hammock/tarp there is 0 concern. Put tarp up first. Stay nice and dry under tarp to set up the rest.

4. Jeff says:

I have Just recently made my first Hammock and used it on a boy scout camping trip. what I used for my suspension was one of the pre made tree wraps that you can buy at REI in addition to one of the Pre made Mountain climbing web loops that you can also purchase at REI and finally a cheap mountain climbing caribeener. With this being my first time both making and hammock camping and my larger size I felt more comfortable using something that had been weight tested. Loved the hammock camping!

5. Jeremiah says:

What attracted me to hammocking originally was the speed to break camp, not necessarily setup.
    One major advantage I’ve exploited is the ability to camp on steep inclines. I do a lot of river canoeing and often go for miles before finding a place flat enough for a tarp.
    But the biggest advantage: If I’m in a time crunch to get out of Dodge, I twirl the hammock, tarp, and net together and wrap it around my pack or my chest – and dry it out when I find the next campsite.

Ironically, I’m often spending more time setting up than taking down too, though for me I’m often testing different or new gear options, so I’m fiddling. However, I agree that breaking camp quickly is a benefit. I’ve been especially encouraged with the tarp-attached-to-hammock system that I’ve mastered with the Hennessy models, which allows me to set-up and take down tarp and hammock as a single unit, while also keeping the hammock dry and protected.

6. optimumrv says:

I think (as with most things) practicing setting up the hammock while camping is critical to increasing the setup speed.

7. Tasha says:

Thank you for all of the post & comments! My 8 year old daughter & i hung this afternoon for the first time in woods by our house & loved it! We are going to practice more here & eventually venture out camping.