Seven More Benefits of Sleeping in a Hammock, Outdoors

1. Blitzo says:

I recently ventured into the foray of hammock sleeping and can vouch that #1-3 are true. But they cause another problem for me – boredom. I sleep so well compared to tent sleeping that I wake up anywhere from 2-4 am fully rested and ready to go, so I tend to get bored lying there so I have taken to bringing books and reading in the early mornings.

2. Brenda Budd says:

Hammocks are great, my Trek Light in particular has given me shelter in a pinch when I didn’t actually plan to sleep where I may have had to!

3. Buck says:

I take my ENO hammock everywhere… My Daughter had a
    volleyball tournament in the World Congress Center in ATL and we
    found a place to hang out between games.

4. Justin H says:

Recently purchased an ENO hammock and paired it up with my kelty Noah 9′ x 9′ tarp. In related news, I’ve also recently given away my tent, cause ill never use it again.

5. kerry says:

We are renovating a vintage Scotsman trailer into a mobile retail space and need to use every inch for merchandise yet still be able to sleep in it while on the road. We are considering hammocks. Do you think the frame work of an old trailer would hold two adults in hammocks?

Sounds like a fun project. I’m not familiar with the construction of that brand of trailer, so you’ll have to find out how structurally sound the frame is, what kind of reinforcements are in place. I don’t know if you’re planning on stripping it down or renovating it, but that would be an opportunity to look at how it is built and where to best place the hammock connections.

6. Ants :) says:

LOL well played. I only have to add that down South, here in the rainy forests of Southern American Rio de Janeiro and vicinitudes, a hammock off the ground is by NO means a sure night without creeters!! ooooo oooo
    ANTS abound! Roaches, mosquitoes and the like. Big things fly about, zooning in your ears. Ants, particularly, are a bother. Ant-sticks exist everywhere and if you hang onto the wrong tree, say from an Embaúba”, kid, you’re done.
    Lukily I got myself a “jungle hammock” specially made with sewn bug-net as one single piece.
    Even then, the very first time I used it, I woke up (full of wine in my veins, after midnight) with things crawling up and down inside the hammock. I couldn’t believe it! My perfect shelter had been broken into by vile creeters, I thought. Being quite experienced with such ‘imbalances’ I decided I wouldn’t bother and tried to sleep (“they’ll leave me alone if I leave them alone” sort of peace treatee), then,,, to swat the bastards. Got one, two after a lot of doing so I decided to step down and take a look on what was going on. Bid red ants inside. A couple still. And other sorts of unwelcome guests dilligently walking along my cords, tarp etc.
    For some reason, I think I didn’t close the zippers too well….
    Anyway….scorpions and brown spiders below. Ants …well….ants in a tropical forest are ants what to say…

A jungle hammock with a zippered bug net in your location would be absolutely essential. For more protection, I would recommend treating your hammock with permethrin, which will keep bugs and ants from approaching.

7. David says:

just took my hammock for a foray in the nz bush, after setting it up and ensuring the mesh screen was tied in position I made my way into bed. thinking I was safe inside from the mosquitos I fell asleep comfortable in the thought of a bug free sleep. Needless to say I slept with my head against the side of the mesh and woke up looking like the elephant man