Updated Hammock Hang Calculator and Clinometer App

Before I jump into the announcement, I better come clean about Android before I get slaughtered. Yes, it’s on its way. We had hoped to release them at the same time, but getting the app to work exactly on all the different screens is posing a design challenge. We hope to have those fixed in the next few weeks. So, Android folks, please know that the Android version is on its way!

UPDATE 10/21: The Android app is now available on Google Play and Amazon Appstore.

Please report any bugs or submit any suggestions through BitBucket.

In all other respects, I am very pleased to announce version 2 of the Hammock Hang Calculator app, currently available for iOS devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad). In this new version, I’ve cleaned up and tightened the artwork and other visual components. Both the iOS version and Android versions have the same functionality, artwork, and visual design.

The new Hammock Hang Calculator has a built-in clinometer so you can check your hang angle on the fly and save it to your settings.

The other major update is the inclusion of the clinometer. The clinometer provides an interactive “level” of sorts that uses the phone’s accelerometer to give you the precise angle on your hammock’s suspension. This angle can also be saved directly into the calculator settings to make it easier to get a precise reading. The clinometer refreshes the force calculations live so you can see how the angle affects the hang in real time.

Hammock Hang Calculator Help Screen

Matching up the clinometer with the calculator is a natural fit, allowing you make calculations and then check them in real life.

Hammock Hang Calculator Help Screen

New sharing features allow you to save a screenshot of your calculator and post it on social media, email, and other services.

If you have other requests that you would like to see in a future update, please add a comment to this post! Thank you all for your support of this handy hammock utility.

13 comments for “Updated Hammock Hang Calculator and Clinometer App

1. October 11, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Looks great, congrats on another awesome release Derek!

2. Dave
    October 20, 2013 at 11:52 am

Derek,

I love the new app! The graphics are sharp and clinometer is helpful.

I have a feature request for the next version. Could you add the ability to set your head or feet higher into the calculator?

Sincerely,
    Dave

October 20, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Thanks Dave! I’ve submitted the idea to the developer. Thanks!

• September 3, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I just bought the app today. Any word on the ability to set head/foot higher? Thanks.

3. Andrew Nicholls [Ol Grumpy on Hammock Forum]
    December 16, 2013 at 5:45 am

Gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised to find it has full metric function…

So, it works downunder… WooHoo!

Just a question though, if I’m hanging downunder, does that mean I’m more likely to fall out…
    Upside down and all? Bwahahahaha! Answer: Who cares! It’s all good fun!

4. joeyi
    January 16, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Request for new feature: Is it possible to add a distance measuring feature using the phones camera? Something like EasyMeasure? This would be a great tool. Find your two trees. Stand at tree 1, point iphone camera lens towards tree two and have distance to go into the calculator. ULTIMATE hanging tool! just a thought.

January 16, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Cool idea! I’ll look into it and talk with the developer.

• Womble
        March 5, 2014 at 8:06 am

This is an excellent tool. So far I used the “Angle Meter” App on iOS. So what I’m missing with the Clinometer is the “see-through” option using the camera. That would be a great upgrade.

March 5, 2014 at 8:19 am

We debated about having a “see-through” option on the clinometer; however, with all the other data we wanted to show, it became too distracting and ultimately difficult to see the numbers, etc. It is a type of augmented reality that has a “coolness” factor, but ultimately didn’t improve the performance or usefulness at all. Like any leveling device, it is best used when you put the phone/device close to the suspension. If you are too far away, your results are less accurate. And being close and touching the suspension, the see-through option is less effective.

5. bringerofgame
    March 13, 2014 at 12:47 am

Windows Phone version?

March 13, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I suppose if there is enough demand. No plans as of now.

6. November 19, 2014 at 6:04 am

It seems like the weight calculations in the clinometer aren’t quite right.. When in english mode the cord tension is 1/2 my weight when holding the phone at 90 degrees (which is correct). But in metrics mode the cord tension is only 2/9 of my weight when holding the phone at 90 degrees.

November 19, 2014 at 6:33 am

Thanks. I’ll look into this.