Parachute Nylon Hammock Comparison Chart

Parachute nylon hammocks are arguably the most popular types of hammocks in the market today, judging by the variety sold by different manufacturers. The fabric is recognizable based on its “crinkly” appearance. The name is somewhat of a misnomer as real parachute material is thinner, lighter, and has a square ripstop weave. “Parachute nylon” hammocks are really a sort of crinkle taffeta nylon, running around 2.0 to 3.0 oz per square yard (50 to 60 denier), and lacks a ripstop weave. It is one of the stronger fabrics used in hammocks, with most manufacturers listing 400 lb. (181 kg.) load capacity, and it has a fairly soft texture. Parachute nylon fabric also features a moderate stretch, which some hangers prefer to achieve the best comfort.

But not all parachute nylon hammocks are created equally, and despite similar naming conventions (e.g., “Single” and “Double” hammocks), each manufacturer varies in product dimension, construction, and packaging.

If you have a parachute nylon hammock not listed here, please contact me so I can append this list.

Brand NameLength (in.)Width (in.)Listed Capacity (lbs.)Weight (oz.)Side Panel (in.)Rope Length (in.)MSRP(as of 10/30/13)
Byer of Main Amazonas Traveller Hammock865325010.813137N/A (the Traveler Lite replaced this model - US$22.95
Anna’s Hammock*9757N/A17.6nonenoneUS$39.00
Ticket to the Moon - Double1157944117.99noneUS$50.00
Ticket to the Moon - Single1176044115nonenoneUS$30.00
Trek Light Gear - Double1147840019.19noneUS$74.95
Hammock Bliss Triple11694.535022.519noneUS$74.95
Trek Light Gear - Single1165940016.19noneUS$64.95

LEGEND

Side Panels: The width of the extra strip of fabric on either side of the main hammock body.
Rope Length: The total length of the hammock, including the rope suspension.

EDIT 7/4/12: I own each one of these hammocks and the measurements are my own, not pulled from catalogues or websites, so what is listed here is a field measurement that may differ slightly from a manufacturer’s website. Also, I incorrectly listed the weight in pounds where it should be ounces (can you imagine a 23-pound hammock? Yikes!). Thanks to Ellis who brought this to my attention.

*Technically speaking, these hammocks are not made from parachute nylon (crinkle taffeta), but I added them here for my own convenience. The KAMMOK ROO is made from a proprietary diamond ripstop nylon. Anna’s Hammock is made from taslan. Its 100% nylon but spun so its has a softer feel than ripstop.

EDIT 11/26/12: I have completed a thorough hammock camping comparison database chart that includes all camping hammocks, tarps, insulation options, and suspension kits available.

1. Curt says:

Great chart, Derek! I’ve got a couple of versions of this in folders somewhere, but I can certainly delete them now as this is easily the most complete chart I’ve seen anywhere.

It confirms my findings that nobody is making a longer (11′) parachute hammock. I really think it would be a winner! 60-64″ wide and 11′ long for about a pound? I’d order it in a second.

Thanks for sharing this with the hammock community!

Thanks Curt, and you’re welcome. This chart has been a while in coming. I started it months ago but got tied up in projects. I’m going to add MSRP later today.

2. peter zulkowski says:

Did you forget the ENO Single? It is the DN without the wings 🙂

Peter

I didn’t forget it, I simply don’t have one 🙂 I only tested hammocks I own and the ENO Single hasn’t made my inbox yet. It’s on my list!

3. Christine says:

Cool chart. I would suggest adding the Grand Trunk Ultralight. I’m not sure of the weight as packaged (I guess I could Google it – I have changed up the suspension on mine), but it would be a good one to add to your chart. 🙂

I own the Grand Trunk Ultralight — it’s one of my favorites, but I left it off this list because I was trying to list and compare only parachute nylon hammocks (the ultralight is polyester). I may expand it to include all camping hammocks, but right now I want to keep it focused.

4. Gail Phillips-Waite says:

Have you made a homemade hammock? My husband was just made scoutmaster and his boys are just not excited about camping. I think the hammock camping is a wonderful idea and a great new skill they would love to learn. The problem for us is cost. I’d love to find some really good instructions for making these camping hammocks and see if we can make this a possibility.

Yes, I’ve made several hammocks. The basic design is easy: just get some fabric (ripstop nylon or polyester works best) that is 5×10 feet (1.5×3 m) in dimension. I roll-hem the long edges first and then sew channels in the ends. Triple-stitch the channel seams and you will be good for strength. You can also whip the ends of the hammock for a no-sew option.

I’m getting ready to post the instructions I drew up for our scout troop when we sewed our own zippered bug net hammocks. Stay tuned!

• Casey Monsen says:

Literally started learning about hammock camping this week. Very interested if you ended up completing this project with your scouts. My wife hates bugs. Only chance I’ll get her out is if she has a good bug net.

There are several hammocks available that come with integrated bug netting with zippers, and even tarp flies. Check out Hennessy Hammock, Clark Jungle Hammock, DD Hammocks, and Lawson Hammock.

5. Rie Pittman says:

I am interested in purchasing, the same fabrics that Grand trunk is using on their hammocks (Parachute Nylon). I also would be interested in the lighter weight fabric. I believe you said it was polyester. Where can I purchase these materials to make my own hammock? Thanks for your info and caparisons, it’s great to find a community that appreciates hammocks.
    Rie

6. Rie Pittman says:

Derek,

I appreciate you timely response. Assuming that you have purchased materials for hammocks from these suppliers, is there one you prefer? Did their products meet your expectations for making a quality durable hammock? I.E. do their fabrics compare to what Grand Trunk might purchase? Thanks again for the links..

Rie

7. Rie Pittman says:

Derek,
    Your readers might also be interested in this website I came across that I have used in the past. http://www.questoutfitters.com They also have a good selection of materials, for do it yourself projects.

Rie

8. Brad says:

Derek – quick question in terms of comfort and quality. I have narrowed my options down to Byer, Trek Light and Grand Trunk. Any words of wisdom?

All three of those options are equal in quality, but comfort is subjective. If you can, see if you can try one out. In my opinion, longer hammocks are more comfortable. I really like the new Grand Trunk pattern hammocks for that reason.

9. Hi Derek
    Great blog and i agree with many of your comments as i supply ticket to the moon products in Thailand and the UK @ http://www.northernmonkeyleisure.com . Thanks for your time and charts as above are very usefull . Regards

10. bodzio says:

Derek please tell me: Lenght of Your longest hammok??

I have one of Ticket to the Moon’s “Mammocks” that is about 20 ft (6 m) long. It is crazy! For my “normal” hammocks, 11 ft (3.3 m) is about as long as I have.

11. Kevin says:

Hi Derek,
    Do you recommend hammocks with bug nets built in or separate…or do you prefer not using a net?

I like them all, for different reasons and conditions. When I lived in Virginia, having an integrated but net was mandatory. Where I live now in northern Arizona, mosquitos are not much of a problem, so I rarely need a bug net for that, but I still like using a mosquito net on occasion.

A basic, open air hammock is the most versatile of all types available. You must measure your own goals and priorities when making the decision. Cost, weight, and bulk are all factors to consider too.

If I were forced under pain of death to choose a camping hammock, I’d probably pick one with a bug net attached because it is ready to go to the outdoors out of the box.

12. Jimmy says:

Good list. I’ve found your website to be quite informative. The parachutes are nice for warmer weather but what about fall and spring camping and even winter camping? Will the parachutes hold up under those colder conditions?

Thanks Jimmy. Just like camping in tent when temperatures get cool, you’ve got to insulate in a hammock. A pad, sleeping bag, or quilt will keep you warm. I sleep in my hammock year-round and enjoy winter camping a lot. I’ve got a post in the works that describes some basics of winter hammock camping. My book also has a lot of details.

13. Ryan Morgan says:

i can’t seem to find the 20 ft “mammock” you mentioned. Is is still possible to purchase one?

14. Great, I love this one, Have Fun

15. Katie says:

Thank you for making this extensive chart! Can you tell me which one you think would be best for kids? A lot of teenagers around here have ENOs, but I don’t want to spend that much money. Most importantly, I want it to be safe. My 8 year old and 5 year old love these things.

16. Andrew says:

Hi Derek, I must say I was looking for a site like this. Now I have a question: I am looking for a hammock. Mostly for a yacht (only me) or for a one day hike with my lady. I am not planning to do any survival in Patagonia, but I wouldn’t like it to be extra heavy as well. Honestly, are ENO, TTTM and GTG rather similar taking under consideration my goals?

Yes. Each of those brands will suffice for your needs. Another you might like is Therm-a-Rest. Their slacker single is comfy.

17. Ethan says:

Which hammock did you like better? The Kammok or the Grand Trunk Double? They seem pretty comparable but I’m having a hard time deciding. Thanks

The KAMMOK has better fabric and larger dimensions. The overall build is better. But if you are cost conscious, the grand trunk will do fine.

18. Thanks for putting this together Derek! Seriously such a great chart, does KAMMOK manufacturer their own rip stop nylon fabric?

What makes some fabrics so much better than the others?

You’re welcome. Yes, KAMMOK engineered and designed their own fabric. It’s great. Fabric is the core of a hammock and most people largely ignore it, I think in part because they don’t know what’s out there available to them.

What make some fabric better? That’s a loaded question because it can depend on what you want out of it. More comfort, more Breathability, more water resistance? There are a lot of options when you look.

1. October 24, 2013

[…] hammocks. Admittedly, the ProFly is designed to fit the ENO line of hammocks, which are some of the shortest on the market at only 101 in (256.5 […]

2. November 7, 2013

[…] I’m pleased that their products are competitive with regards to weight and pack size when compared with the other parachute hammock brands on the […]

3. August 14, 2014

[…] that the hammock’s dimensions are large—even the “single” is bigger than most “double” hammocks already on the market. The fact that these hammocks are made in the USA is a big selling point too. What I’m […]

4. August 31, 2015

[…] Quick Comparison Chart […]

5. January 8, 2016

[…] you frequently use a hammock while you camp or hike, then you are probably pretty familiar with a parachute hammock.  A parachute hammock is one of the most popular hammocks for many outdoor […]

6. July 2, 2016