Hammock Camping Basics

Way back in March of 2009, I drew up an illustration to help people understand the basics of hanging a hammock for camping. It turns out, that simple illustration would kickstart a slew of hammock camping-related illustrations, primarily for the folks at HammockForums.net. I had been a lurker on the forums for a while before dipping my toe in the water because I didn’t know if I had anything to add to the conversation. It turns out there were a lot of folks just like me who liked to visualize hammock camping instead of just reading about it. I love clear, informative illustrations, and that’s what I strive for in my own work.

I didn’t expect this first illustration to be groundbreaking — it was a very crude, simple drawing, but it worked. Since posting that first illustration, I’ve updated and created hundreds of illustrations that I published in The Ultimate Hang: An Illustrated Guide To Hammock Camping.

For additional information (and illustrations!) check out my post on Tips on Hammock Camping.

Hammock Camping Basics 101

15 comments for “Hammock Camping Basics

1. Bill
    February 17, 2013 at 6:37 am

I love your book.It’s going next to Dan Beards Field and Forest handy book,Lofty’s SAS survival and several outdoor cookbooks.These are my go to books for ideas to keep our camping trips fresh and fun for my younger nephews.

February 17, 2013 at 8:33 am

Thanks Bill! It’s rewarding to know the book has been so helpful. All the best!

2. Lance Pierson
    April 11, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Would a regular bug net such as the Expedition X Mosquito Net 84″ X 39″ X 66″ work for an eno hammock? Im a little short on money and cI am looking for something a little bit more within my price range.

April 11, 2014 at 8:33 pm

By itself, no, it isn’t big enough. You need to use the hung length of the hammock, which is about 100 inches. That said, you can convert that bug net into a hammock net with some sewing. Check out these instructions I posted I hammock forums.

• Lance Pierson
        April 11, 2014 at 8:41 pm

It will not let me view the illustration can you post it on here please.

April 11, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Yes. I’ll write a new blog post.

April 11, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Okay, I updated my illustration and set a new blog post to publish tomorrow. Be on the lookout for it!

3. July 28, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Dear Derek,

Is it okay to translate the information on the illustration on post on my blog for Korean hammock campers? It’s very hard to find any hammock information in Korean and your illustration covers a lot in very easy way. I think it will help Korean people understand more about the hammock.
    My blog address is blog.naver.com/talkingcat .

Best regards
    Ian Park.

July 29, 2014 at 2:24 am

Is be happy if you wanted to translate the document into Korean. Please send me an email and we can coordinate.