The Many Uses of a Gear Hammock

1. Kevin says:

When I first read about gear hammocks a few months, I immediately thought back to your post on how to make a hammock in 3 minutes and decided that I just couldn’t bring myself to pay for a gear hammock when you had already shown me how easy it is to make one.

It’s true! That’s why I really like my Krama scarf version. It extends the usability a little and is more fun to use.

2. David Wallace II says:

I made a Gear Hammock from half of a Walmart backpacking tarp. They sell these little 5×7 tarps for $10-$15 and if you cut that in half you have a nice little gear hammock. I sewn channels the whole way around for paracord. At opposite corners of the tarp is a cord lock. So when you draw up the cord on either end it makes a little hammock. If it’s not being used as a gear hammock it could be a pack cover, sit pad or a small changing ground cover. I tried searching the web for the idea to a link but couldn’t find it. Maybe I got the idea from Hammock Forum.

That sounds a lot like the Jeff gear hammock that Jacks R Better now sells. It’s a great little DIY project.

3. David Wallace II says:

That was it. See I knew it had to be some place. So many great idea out there that my pack get heavy from wanting to try everything.

PS. I’m still teaching hammocks to scouts in our area thanks to your presentation.

4. Vernon says:

When we first starting to build the tablecloth hammocks (3 min. version on your site) I ordered the wrong size tablecloth, so it sat on the shelf until the gear hammock idea popped up…..Worked like a charm,… we were able to make four Mini multi-purpose hammocks and have been using them for months now. Now since seeing the one on the ridge line I just gotta try it too. It seems so much easier than sewing up all those little pouches to hang on the ridgeline. We love your site!!! (my scouts and I)
    Vernon

5. Elvis Mikel says:

I got a 3 X 5 piece of 1.1 ripstop at the fabric store and made my own gear loft. Made channels on the sides with shock cord, whipped the ends, and attach the the continuous ridgeline of my tarp. It just gets stored with the tarp in the snakeskins. Love it.

6. Robert Shirley says:

Don’t forget my beloved SMR Nube’ with its incorporated gear hammock supporting up to 200lbs.

It’s true! That’s a great feature of the Nubé.

• Val says:

I love my Nube’ and when I have wet clothing… wool socks, and it’s raining, I can lay them out on the screen netting to dry overnight! Pretty awesome feature when you need it. Something you don’t realize you want until you have a Nube’!

7. Dennis says:

Great write up on an interesting piece of gear. Thanks for sharing.

8. Carter Holland says:

don’t forget the UBC from 2toutdoors! I think you even did a review on it!

9. Kalei says:

Dont firget to add Simply Light Designs to the gear hammock list. Jared makes a great One with waterproof zipper!

10. Jacob Stout says:

Thanks for the tips on how to use these great little hammocks. I’d never really thought about gear hammocks before. Palm to forehead. Again, thanks for sharing these. Anxious to get out and try a few and compare to regular hammocks.

1. September 28, 2016

[…] really love the zipper pouch and carry-all. It’s a great accessory. It makes a great gear hammock, since the shoulder strap can be disconnected and used as suspension. Thanks to the tie-loops on […]

2. March 22, 2017

[…] Miniature hammock chairs are some of the most versatile gear items. The Sheltowee Yahoo Hammock Chair has a very simple design and uses an easy-to-use cinch buckle suspension system. The hammock itself is very lightweight and packs down to the size of a softball. The cinch buckles have been wrapped to prevent twisting, and the end caps have a nice finished wrap, giving a professional look. […]